Thursday 28 March 2013

Fragments - Dan Wells

Titel: Fragments
Author: Dan Wells
Series: Partials #2
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Pages: 564
Publication Date: February 26, 2013
Source: ARC


Earlier in the series: Partials.





Kira Walker has found the cure for RM, but the battle for the survival of humans and Partials is just beginning. Kira has left East Meadow in a desperate search for clues to who she is. That the Partials themselves hold the cure for RM in their blood cannot be a coincidence--it must be part of a larger plan, a plan that involves Kira, a plan that could save both races. Her companions are Afa Demoux, an unhinged drifter and former employee of ParaGen, and Samm and Heron, the Partials who betrayed her and saved her life, the only ones who know her secret. But can she trust them?

Meanwhile, back on Long Island, what's left of humanity is gearing up for war with the Partials, and Marcus knows his only hope is to delay them until Kira returns. But Kira's journey will take her deep into the overgrown wasteland of postapocalyptic America, and Kira and Marcus both will discover that their greatest enemy may be one they didn't even know existed.



***

Since I adored Partials my expectations for this one were huge! Thankfully Dan Wells wrote an amazing sequel which I loved from the very beginning.

Kira is so my kind of protagonist! She is strong, but sensitive. She sticks to her opinions and isn't afraid of being herself. She's also very independent but she's getting better at letting other people have a say. She goes through a lot in Fragments and starts doubting herself at some point, but still manages to keep her integrity and her hopes intact. I simple love her. Her journey with Afa, Heron and Samm is super exciting and shows the reader just how screwed up the world has gotten.

Both Kira's journey and Marcus' battle 'back home' has surprises and twist I did not anticipate, but it was awesome! If a writer knows how to surprise the reader, I'm a fan! The humor in the story is just as great as the last one and especially Marucs was hilarious (I may be biased, since I really like him and his part in the story).

Marcus froze, suddenly realizing why the voice sounded so familiar. "Kira?" "Hey, babe," said Kira. "Miss me?" "What?" Marcus stumbled for words. "Where are you? What's going on? Why is Dr. Morgan looking for me?" "Probably because she wants me," said Kira. "The good news is, she has no idea where I am." "Well that's a relief," said Haru derisevely. "I'm so glad Kira's safe." Marcus thumbed the radio button. "Haru says hi."

The entire story is intriguing and even though a lot of questions are answered, just as many new ones pop up - it left me wanting more. The pace is a bit slow at times without the story being boring. The story is, however, a bit more detailed and thorough about the science and the reasons behind the crisis than most in the YA dystopian genre, but that only made me love it more.

The Partials series is quickly becoming one of my favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment