Wednesday 27 February 2013

The Selection - Kiera Cass

Titel: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #1
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 327
Publication Date: April 4, 2012









For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


***

I was really looking forward to read The Selection, but unfortunately I didn't love it. I obviously knew that the story had a lot of dresses, jewelry and gossip (I mean, look at the cover), but I thought and hoped it would have more depth.

I didn't care for Ameria! She keeps saying she hates the castes but still talks about them a lot and she can't introduce a new person without a number. She's told over and over again that she is gorgeous, but never believes it. I hate protagonists like that - seriously, accept a compliment already!

"Everyone here looked like a One. I looked like a Five in a nice dress." (s. 122)
Neither of the guys was over-the-top-amazing, but I loved how the relationship between Maxon and America develops. No insta-love, but a sweet friendship slowly turning in to something more. They are so funny and relaxed with each other.

I adore dystopian novels, but in order to write a story like that, you need to provide a lot of information and Kiera Cass doesn't. I ended up with a million questions about History books, rebels and the population. The story has so much focus on girly-stuff and it hurts the story (well, it hurts me - I want to know more about this world, it sounds really amazing).

The writing is kind of boring and I got sick of sentences starting with 'And'. Also, the names annoys me - America Singer (guess her profession), Prince Maxon (kept reading it as Max-On!), Aspen and Tiny (who isn't actually big). It's cheesy!

Even though there aren't really any story to speak of, the story ends with a 'cliffhanger' which leaves me with no other choice than reading the next one - I need answers! The Selection isn't amazing, but it's an easy read on a boring Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment